Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do you customize your 928 with sporty stuff?

Do you customize your 928 with sporty stuff? 23 Jan 2017 06:41 #19501

Hi everyone,

I am a lucky owner of 1994 928, and am happy to own the vehicle! Just wanted to post here to say hello to everyone and ask your opinion on something. To me, 928 is strongly associated with sporty drive. Maybe because that's my style of drive and it's ok for me to push hard. For me, the vehicle is all about performance, and its long hood to me is associated with an impressive 5.4 L engine and 345 ponies I've got there.

And what do you guys think about customization of the 928 to make it look sportier? Do you guys install that cool racing gear stuff or you tend to stick to that calssic appearance of you 928s?...

Just curious!
Thanks everyone and hope you enjoy amazing 928 drive J
Last Edit: 24 Jan 2017 04:19 by UncleBranton68.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you customize your 928 with sporty stuff? 23 Jan 2017 15:34 #19503

• LummoxPG
  • Junior Forum Member
Other than 18" wheels? ...not so much. I like the look of the car the way it came from the factory. That said, I did do some slight mods to the exhaust to allow the S4 to properly express itself. Rear muffler bypass and removal of the resonator. Vrrrrooom.
1988 Porsche 928 S4/SE
1993 BMW 535 i
2001 Mercedes CLK 320
The following user(s) said Thank You: UncleBranton68

Do you customize your 928 with sporty stuff? 30 Jan 2017 20:41 #19516

• Burlingame
  • Junior Forum Member
With the value of 928's starting to climb I guess it depends on what your end game is, make a little money or go with what makes you happy and get the most out of the car. I have a 1985 928S and have eliminated the original wheels and opted for the phone dial rims, but plan to keep most everything else original. Most of my time so far has been working on some mechanical maintenance items.

Do you customize your 928 with sporty stuff? 06 Feb 2017 07:44 #19526

• martinss
  • Platinum Forum Member
While these cars were ahead of their time when they were new, they are hardly up to current standards. I like to enjoy them as a classic - representative of their era, Trying to update a car is a loosing proposition IMO. Soon your updates will be out-date.

Given their age and relative rarity, they are starting to be appreciated as classics, and originality supports value. But with a few rare version exceptions, they may never be as valuable as some other classics, so it makes sense to make some mods (ideally reversible) to improve enjoyment. On my '90 I have put a leather boot over the auto transmission shifter as I hate the rubber (even if it was original) and I added a raised centre armrest for driving comfort. I made more mods to my '88.

In the end, as many say, its your car and you should do what you want to it.

Do you customize your 928 with sporty stuff? 24 Feb 2017 18:31 #19544

• rlboriack
  • New Forum Member
I agree with Martinss. No matter how much you modify it, it will never keep up with a GTR or even a new Corvette. Keep it stock, these cars are becoming more and more rare and once you've modified it, I believe it will lose value.

Do you customize your 928 with sporty stuff? 03 Mar 2017 04:09 #19568

• allexsander
  • Junior Forum Member
I'm planning to upgrade the wheels only and leave everything else stock.

Do you customize your 928 with sporty stuff? 05 Mar 2017 22:34 #19573

• Sierra
  • New Forum Member
As a relative new comer to this - my 928 is a 1980 barn find that needs a lot of work. I have no choice but to repaint. I don't like the current gold colour and would like to change it. Does that kind of modification really deminish the value of the car?

Do you customize your 928 with sporty stuff? 14 Mar 2017 11:43 #19584

• mm928
Like the earlier posts, it is really what you plan for the car,,, if it is for resale, I would buff out or respray the original color. If you hate it and want to enjoy your ride, then certainly change it one of 2 ways. A simple respray not changing engine bay etc. so the next person could change it back a little easier. OR pull everything apart and really completely change the color everywhere. The 2nd option can be very expensive depending of whether you take it apart or not. So really it is what you want out of your purchase. My paint was a respray to a different color by the previous owner. I do not like the original paint either so if I paint it I will keep the color different, because I like what I like :)

Good Luck - do what you like, just do it well.
1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Do you customize your 928 with sporty stuff? 15 Mar 2017 15:36 #19589

rlboriack wrote:
No matter how much you modify it, it will never keep up with a GTR or even a new Corvette.
We have a 5 liter twin turbo 928 in Green Bay which can outrun a Bugatti Veyron:

rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/827839-tod...d-than-a-veyron.html

It's not a kit, it's a one off build & driven by the owner. It's his daily driver when the snow isn't flying. He was out doing a spring shakedown in it last week.

It's your car, modify it however you want regardless of future values. "Saving" a car for the next guy is like buying your ex-wife a boob job.
Last Edit: 15 Mar 2017 15:39 by Hacker-Pschorr.
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 1.564 seconds