Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Leather seat rejuvenation, is it possible.

Leather seat rejuvenation, is it possible. 10 Jul 2017 22:43 #19871

• rlboriack
  • Junior Forum Member
Hi, I have a 1982 ROW 928S that has had a mechanical restoration done. The problem is, the leather seats are starting to harden. I've been using Lexol on the seats for some time now and it seems to make no improvement other than cleaning the leather. Is there another product which may help to soften the leather? I have the tan seats and, while they are not cracked yet, I'm afraid it is only a matter of time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Leather seat rejuvenation, is it possible. 20 Jul 2017 07:57 #19893

• martinss
  • Platinum Forum Member
I started with Leatherique, and it has definitely made a difference. I've used Lexol a bit (unimpressed), but I prefer the smell of Autoglym, which works well too, so mostly use that now. Over the course of 4 and 6 years of treating the seats of my two 928s, I've found that repeated treatment (initially daily, then weekly, then monthly, then quarterly) makes a continuing but very slow difference. While newer cars have leather (or bonded leather only) that is treated with an impermeable surface, I believe (but I don't have any data) that the older 928 seats are permeable, full-thickness leather. I have been able to soften parts of the seats that were as hard as cardboard. Leaving a liberally-treated surface in a closed, hot car in the sun can speed the process, but remember to wipe off excess before you sit or it gets too sticky. I also find that occasionally rotating products (in addition to the above mentioned) seems to make a difference - again an unscientific theory. It certainly seems that there are some constituents differences between products.

You didn't mention dye. This can make a huge difference to appearance.

Leather seat rejuvenation, is it possible. 20 Jul 2017 10:54 #19894

• rlboriack
  • Junior Forum Member
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into purchasing some Autoglym.

I have heard a theory about the differences in the leather. Years ago, tanners were able to use formalin as a component to the tanning chemicals. Today, at least in the US, they can't use it. I have a pair of Vasque hiking boots that I purchased 41 years ago. They have been re-soled 3 times and the leather is still like new. I also have a pair I purchase 7 years ago and was told they couldn't be re-soled because of the above reason.

Thanks again for the help.
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds