Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Drivers Door Handle

Drivers Door Handle 26 Dec 2016 09:15 #19444

• Who's the U Boat Commander...?
  • Mark Grillo
  • Junior Forum Member
Happy Holidays Fellow 928 Owners....

Today I went out to take the car out for a ride, and I pulled up the door handle and it wouldn't open. The handle moves but won't unlatch. It was very cold and thought that might have something to do with it. It does unlatch from the inside. I also sprayed some silicone spray on mechanism mounted on the door jamb. The "metal arms" inside it didn't move to easily...

Any ideas would be helpful.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Drivers Door Handle 27 Dec 2016 00:35 #19446

• Kiln_Red
Most likely it is about to break as is common with 928s. They get a lot of slack in them as the part that breaks will be soft to the extent that pulling the outside handle all of the way will still be insufficient to actuate the latch.

Drivers Door Handle 27 Dec 2016 07:29 #19448

• Mark Grillo
  • Junior Forum Member
In your opinion is it the handle or the mechanism, inside that needs to be replaced ? I have found alot of good info on various websites about this. Would love your opinion.

Drivers Door Handle 27 Dec 2016 08:18 #19450

• Kiln_Red
Definitely the mechanism. I have a tendency to generically refer to the whole assembly as the handle. It is a pain in the rear, but I would use the passenger door outside handle exclusively until I managed to repair the driver handle. Since the mechanism isn't totally broken, it should be easier to salvage.

Drivers Door Handle 27 Dec 2016 18:39 #19452

• Mark Grillo
  • Junior Forum Member
Not sure what you meant by using pass door handle only...its the only way to get in !!! While I'm thinking of it, I should probably put a window down in case the other handle breaks !!!!The drivers side lifts up but doesn't open the door. I have to open pass side, and reach across and open drivers from inside. I agree it looks like a pain in the ass. Just getting the door panel off looks a little intimidating.
I have a junker that I'm going to use as a guinnea pig and reference. Plus whatever I can find online. I would even take it to the dealer...except I'm afraid they would do even more damage. Not sure how many of the guys today, know how to fix it.

Drivers Door Handle 05 Jan 2017 07:27 #19468

• Kiln_Red
Removing the door panel isn't a big deal. Use a knife's edge or similar to remove the cover for the screw at the dial for the manual door lock actuation. Remove the screw and then you may remove the dial and the plastic trim from the door card. There are screws along the bottom edge of the door panel where the carpet is. Then, pull the armrest. To do so, you need to remove the plastic trim piece that folows the perimeter of the opening for armrest air flow from the dash. It has ears on it that can be depressed to remove. This grants you access to an otherwise hidden 10mm bolt. Pull the door card closeout leather trim adjacent to the interior door handle and door handle bezel. Now, open the parcel compartment. You have access to all of the hardware that secures the armrest. The door card that remains is now only held in by plastic body clips. A body clip tool is advisable, but any way to pry at the clip with a way to give them a sudden jolt of counterpressure should allow for their removal with minimal damage being done to either the clips or door card.

Drivers Door Handle 20 Feb 2017 06:36 #19538

• Mark Grillo
  • Junior Forum Member
Well, I just finished changing the door handle on my 81. I was very worried and concerned. I enlisted the help a friend, always good to have a reset button... I would like to offer some helpful advice to help anybody else who might try, while its still fresh in my mind. The best information I found can be accessed by googling "Porsche 928 door handle" You will see a post by 'Rennlist.com" and pay attention the the post labeled "Jan 20, 2013". It is a great step by step w pictures !!! The only issue is that when you loosen the "security plate", please put up the window before you remove it. It won't come out unless you do..We wasted a lot of time trying to get it out w the window down. he states this but it is said as an after thought, and didn't see it where he has it listed after the photos. No insult to author, as the whole thing was very descriptive.

Also we tried every option as we reconnected speakers, power window switch and door courtesy light. After we got it all together the door courtesy light didn't work...What the hell !!! It was simply that the wires were routed incorrectly around the other ones so when we opened and closed the door they pulled off the connections. No worries... the whole light pops out carefully, and the wires can be fished out and re-connected.

We took copious notes on what wires went where, and I'm glad we did, we also took photos w cell phone. Glad we did, because it took a couple of weeks to complete and you think your always going to remember... I didn't so glad I took the time up front.

My last trick, my door panels had been off once before as the original owner had old speakers replaced. The door panel was still perfect and I wanted it to stay that way. So I took the time to put small pieces of scotch tape on the good side of the door panel where clips were on the back. There are a lot and some in middle of panel. This helped to pop them in accurately, and not forget any.

There was some adjusting of the rod that gets popped off when changing handle to make it lock. It won't lock unless door is closed. You can fool the door if you close the lock on door jamb, BUT... it has to be latched all the way in , not just one click but two clicks. Make sure the latch in the door jamb is all the way in to authenticate door is closed or key will not turn to rear to lock doors. Make sure you know how door locks work, before you take apart, its simple once you know. I did not so learning that part while doing door handle made job take a lot longer...

Hope I did not ramble....Good luck if you take this on, it can be done...Now I'm an expert. I can also answer questions or take a phone call if someone contacts me.

Thanks Mark...

Drivers Door Handle 20 Feb 2017 06:43 #19539

• Mark Grillo
  • Junior Forum Member
Well, I just finished changing the door handle on my 81. I was very worried and concerned. I enlisted the help a friend, always good to have a reset button... I would like to offer some helpful advice to help anybody else who might try, while its still fresh in my mind. The best information I found can be accessed by googling "Porsche 928 door handle" You will see a post by 'Rennlist.com" and pay attention the the post labeled "Jan 20, 2013". It is a great step by step w pictures !!! The only issue is that when you loosen the "security plate", please put up the window before you remove it. It won't come out unless you do..We wasted a lot of time trying to get it out w the window down. he states this but it is said as an after thought, and didn't see it where he has it listed after the photos. No insult to author, as the whole thing was very descriptive.

When we re-assembled and put door panel back on, we tried every option as we reconnected speakers, power window switch and door courtesy light. After we got it all together the door courtesy light didn't work...What the hell !!! It was simply that the wires were routed incorrectly around the other ones so when we opened and closed the door they pulled off the connections. No worries... the whole light pops out carefully, and the wires can be fished out and re-connected.

We took copious notes on what wires went where, and I'm glad we did, we also took photos w cell phone. Glad we did, because it took a couple of weeks to complete and you think your always going to remember... I didn't so glad I took the time up front.

My last trick, my door panels had been off once before as the original owner had old speakers replaced. The door panel was still perfect and I wanted it to stay that way. So I took the time to put small pieces of scotch tape on the good side of the door panel where clips were on the back. There are a lot and some in middle of panel. This helped to pop them in accurately, and not forget any.

There was some adjusting of the rod that gets popped off when changing handle, after the new handle is installed. It affects door locking The key will not rotate in cylinder twords rear of car if not adjusted right. YOU HAVE TO HAVE DOOR CLOSED TO CHECK THIS. You can fool the door if you close the lock in door jamb, BUT... it has to be latched all the way in , not just one click but two clicks. Make sure the latch in the door jamb is all the way in to authenticate door is closed or key will not turn to rear to lock doors. Make sure you know how door locks work, before you take apart, its simple once you know. I did not so learning that part while doing door handle made job take a lot longer...

Hope I did not ramble....Good luck if you take this on, it can be done...Now I'm an expert. I can also answer questions or take a phone call if someone contacts me.

Thanks Mark...
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2017 06:56 by Mark Grillo.

Drivers Door Handle 15 Mar 2017 16:01 #19591

Mark Grillo wrote:
The best information I found can be accessed by googling "Porsche 928 door handle" You will see a post by 'Rennlist.com" and pay attention the the post labeled "Jan 20, 2013".

This one:

rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/736777-dri...o-w-photos-long.html
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 1.149 seconds