Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1981 928 Sunroof Adjustment help needed before it rains.....

1981 928 Sunroof Adjustment help needed before it rains..... 01 Jul 2017 18:18 #19847

• foxint
  • Junior Forum Member
Hi Guys....

I have read some good stuff here - thanks. Love it....

I have joined paid the (very reasonable money) and got the tee-shirt, hat and torch…. really love them – THANK YOU!!!

Now I would like to ask about the sunroof. It is not working....my most pressing issue is:

I have the sun roof moving manually, but when it moves forward the back portion is not moving up to match the roof at the rear. Front of the sunroof matched with the front edge, but the back does not meet up with the main roof.

I need to get it fixed before it rains....no garage (yes, it is planned, but...)

Not being familiar I am not sure how it works.... Seems like it "should" somehow lift to be flush with the roof. But I cannot see how it works.

(Aside - gearbox works; motor works; I took them out. But I cannot turn the gearbox it via the slotted screw – is that a problem? But I need it closed before the rain. I do not need it 100% fixed, just need it closed?)

Hope you can help???? I am 928 virgin having owned it for a month....

Dan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1981 928 Sunroof Adjustment help needed before it rains..... 02 Jul 2017 18:03 #19848

• joejabq
  • Senior Forum Member
Dan,
Here's a link that talks about your problem:

forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-tech...sunroof-problem.html

Hope this helps!

1981 928 Sunroof Adjustment help needed before it rains..... 02 Jul 2017 18:18 #19849

• foxint
  • Junior Forum Member
Hi Mate

Thanks for the link. It was interesting, but did not help.

My problem is the sunroof will not move up at the back to match the line of the roof - hence a gap....???

I live in the Aussie bush and no one has any experience with this car. I (think) it the "only one in the village".

Regards
Dan

1981 928 Sunroof Adjustment help needed before it rains..... 02 Jul 2017 22:48 #19850

• joejabq
  • Senior Forum Member
Hi Dan,

I wanted to make sure that you saw this in the link:

"your sunroof is closing all the way but it does not go up in the rear is a simple adjustment,slide the roof back and take out the three screws that hold the sunroof headliner on the sunroof,then remove the headliner by pulling it forward and take it right out,once removed close your roof again. on the sides of the front of the sunroof you will see the adjustment screws for the tilt mechanism of the roof,they are more than likely loose, but if not loosen one side at a time ,push your roof up in the rear and tighten screw while holding sunroof in up position ,simple adjusment, sunroof is key in this car on the highway if you dont have air conditioning due to design of car,poor ventilation"

This sounds like your issue, but maybe I'm wrong.

1981 928 Sunroof Adjustment help needed before it rains..... 02 Jul 2017 23:06 #19851

• foxint
  • Junior Forum Member
Sir

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry, I must be a little thick. I have had the car for a month and did not plan to do any home maintenance until the conditions were right. I accidently pushed the sunroof button and it all went spiralling into a mess.

“your sunroof is closing all the way but it does not go up in the rear is a simple adjustment” - Yes

“slide the roof back and take out the three screws that hold the sunroof headliner on the sunroof, then remove the headliner by pulling it forward and take it right out. Once removed close your roof again.” Done
“on the sides of the front of the sunroof you will see the adjustment screws for the tilt mechanism of the roof” – Are these the gate guide – 928 564 045 42?

“they are more than likely loose, but if not loosen one side at a time, push your roof up in the rear and tighten screw while holding sunroof in up position, simple adjustment”

This is where it gets confusing….
1. the gate guide (while the sunroof is closed) do not appear to be connects to anything (aside from the little tab on the other side). As the photo shows the sunroof it at its max upward extension on the rear tab…so I am confused.
2. There is a small screw on the rear of the guides. On the other side is a groove that does not appear to be connected to anything?
3. I can push up the rear of the sunroof, but the guide appears to do nothing.

It is now raining and I have no garage and life is getting more difficult….

Dan
Attachments:

1981 928 Sunroof Adjustment help needed before it rains..... 03 Jul 2017 04:34 #19852

• joejabq
  • Senior Forum Member
Hi Dan,
I'm sorry that your sunroof is causing you problems and that it's raining in the bush.
I haven't taken my non working sunroof apart yet, so I can't give you fist hand answers your questions. Maybe someone else who has done this will pick up the thread.
However, If you keep going down the posting on the link that I referred to ( it might be on the second page), there's a longer description with some possible causes for your roof not closing. Maybe that will be useful.
I hope that you can get the car covered at least!
Good luck!

1981 928 Sunroof Adjustment help needed before it rains..... 09 Sep 2017 01:46 #19977

• foxint
  • Junior Forum Member
Hi Guys
Thanks for the best wishes.
The weather has been bad...the international world is bad....hope things get better.
But I have the car cover and progress has been slow. I am an idiot...thinking that if the sunroof goes down and not up the switch is OK....but the switch is not OK....I should have eliminated that from the start. I will get a switch.
I am taking the car to a trusted mechanic 400km away and I will leave it with him for a few week. No one I would trust out here in the bush....
Starting to look at things like fixing early side mirrors.....
Thanks again

Dan

1981 928 Sunroof Adjustment help needed before it rains..... 10 Sep 2017 21:15 #19980

• joejabq
  • Senior Forum Member
Good luck, Dan!
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds