Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 85 Doesnt Crank After New Battery

85 Doesnt Crank After New Battery 07 May 2018 13:26 #20331

• ADache
  • New Forum Member
Hello-
First, I apologize for the lack of information regarding this issue. I am a noob with very limited technical/mechanical knowledge so please go easy on me.

That said, I recently replaced the battery in my 1985 928s as it had died over the long winter. Everything appeared fine but when I turned the key to the final position nothing happened. All gauges and electrics appear to function and I'm reading 12V. The motor simply doesn't spring to life with the turn of the key.

Any direction would be appreciated, like I said I am a noob but vey much want to get the 928 out to enjoy Spring.

Thanks for your help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

85 Doesnt Crank After New Battery 08 May 2018 20:42 #20339

What led you to determine that the original battery was dead? Did you ever try to charge it? Is the replacement battery the same cranking amps?
The only thing I can think of is the connections, something is array. Any noise at all with the turn on the key?

85 Doesnt Crank After New Battery 11 May 2018 08:24 #20351

• Rich928
If all you did was replace the battery, then look at the issues involved:
a) is the replacement battery good? Often batteries sit for a long time before sold. Is it charged, was it load tested before you purchased it?
b) Are all the battery cables attached, clean and tight.
c) Check the ground cable. There can be corrosion under the plastic covering, perhaps installing the battery when it was disturbed what connection remained was disturbed when the cable was moved.
d) If all is well with the battery and connections, look to the switches that disable the starter such as if an auto transmission the park/neutral switch.
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast

85 Doesnt Crank After New Battery 12 May 2018 17:13 #20354

Well what's the word?? Ever get things resolved?
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.695 seconds