Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1982 Fuel Line Replacement

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 26 Nov 2020 14:36 #21619

• Bodner
  • Junior Forum Member
I’m planning to change out my rubber fuel lines this winter. When doing my due diligence by researching the issue, I see a lot of disagreement as to type of hose, clamps or no clamps (assuming that replacement hoses are still not available). Is there any consensus among the members as to a preferred method of fuel line replacement? Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 26 Nov 2020 22:00 #21620

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
Roger at 928sRus has a fuel line replacement kit with all the pieces that you need.

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 27 Nov 2020 07:51 #21621

• Bodner
  • Junior Forum Member
Thank you, joejabq. Yes, I’ve seen Roger quoted on this and many other topics. I will follow up with him :)

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 27 Nov 2020 20:04 #21624

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
Yeah, getting the 928sRUs fuel line kit is the easiest thing to do. You’ll be assured of getting the right type of hose and clamps. The only hard part was the one connection between the engine and the firewall. I couldn’t get enough room to use wrenches to take the connector off so I had to cut the old hose clamp off at the connector with a dremel tool and then just clamping the new hose to the connector. It’s a satisfying project. Good Luck!
Joe
Last Edit: 27 Nov 2020 21:26 by joejabq.

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 18 Dec 2020 15:52 #21638

• Bodner
  • Junior Forum Member
I am going to get everything from Roger. One final question: what is the best method to relieve the fuel pressure prior to removing the fuel lines? Thank you,

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 18 Dec 2020 21:21 #21639

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
Bodner wrote:
I am going to get everything from Roger. One final question: what is the best method to relieve the fuel pressure prior to removing the fuel lines? Thank you,

I'm not sure what the best way is. Maybe others will chime in on how they do it. It's been a while since I worked on the fuel lines, but if you wait overnight from the last time you ran the engine, the pressure should have decreased and the engine will be cool/cold. Then you can slowly crack open where the fuel line that comes into the engine. I'm only familiar with a '79, which is a straight CIS (KJet system). I can't remember if it had changed for the '82's .

I always fret when I have the fuel system open. Be sure that you have a plan for how you want to handle the gas in tank. Of course, disconnect the battery.

Just be very methodical... Step-by-step... and you'll be fine.

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 19 Dec 2020 08:36 #21640

• Bodner
  • Junior Forum Member
Thanks ! The car hasn’t run for over a week, so it should be fine (one benefit of 12 inches of snow on the ground). It’s not necessary to drain the fuel tank, is it? I have between a half and three quarter of a tank. I know to make a provision for any excess fuel in the under hood lines and the injector hoses.

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 19 Dec 2020 10:33 #21641

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
Whoa, that's a lot of gas to deal with. I don't think that you have to drain the tank. I did because I was changing out everything when I replaced my lines. I would think that the important thing is that gas in the tank is controlled and that it's not seeping out. I use a good quality hose clamp on the line that comes out of the tank. You might want to run this question by Roger when you order the lines. He's a wealth of information. He just helped me sort out a fuel pump issue.

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 19 Dec 2020 19:23 #21642

• Bodner
  • Junior Forum Member
Thanks again. I appreciate your insight. I do have good fuel line clamps, so I’m good on that count. I’ll follow up with Roger, but sounds like I have to get started.

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 27 Dec 2020 12:40 #21645

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
I happen to be changing my fuel pump now and came up with another reason to consider draining the tank. My pump died sudden and the replacement pump quickly died too. Upon further investigation, the inside of the hose from the tank is deteriorating and putting out small chunks of rubber that locks up the pump. I just thought I'd mention it. It's not a pressurized hose, so is not in the kit.

I just wanted to give you more information, since you are embarking on a fuel line refresh project, there is that one line that is not in the kit.

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 27 Dec 2020 22:14 #21647

• Bodner
  • Junior Forum Member
Thanks! Yes, I am leaning toward draining the tank as well. I’m starting this week. Good luck with yours.

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 10 Jan 2021 15:23 #21684

• Bodner
  • Junior Forum Member
At the risk of sounding dumb, I,m going to ask: after much maneuver and P.B. Blaster, I was able to get the bottom fittings of the fuel hoses loose (passenger side). Now as I face the top hose connections going into the engine, from passenger side, I want to hold the fuel hose fitting and turn the engine line fitting toward the front of the car, correct? The old righty tighty, lefty loosely....

1982 Fuel Line Replacement 13 Jan 2021 08:04 #21694

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
I want to make sure that I understand what you are asking.
It sounds like you are working on the last line that comes up the passenger side of the engine compartment.
The fuel line that you are currently replacing goes between the hard line, 12, in the diagram and another hard line that comes up on the rear passenger side of the engine compartment.

www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardpa...78-82§ion=107-05

If this is right, that is the hardest line to replace, but if you have gotten the bottom fittings off for the replacement fuel line, you are home free. (If you haven't gotten that one off yet, let me know and I can provide some suggestions. )

If you are referring to the intake hard line, #12, then to answer your question directly, yes. Turn the connecting nut that goes into the fuel distributor, counter clockwise.
However, you actually don't need to remove line #12 at all. You can leave it in place and only work on the connector that goes into the male side on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

If this doesn't make sense to you or if you'd like to discuss it in more detail, you can send me an email. I think that you can find it in the membership section -> member list.

Congratulations. You are almost done! (With this job, at least!)
Last Edit: 13 Jan 2021 08:23 by joejabq.
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds