Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Newbie Member

Newbie Member 26 Dec 2016 16:35 #19445

• Kermit928S
  • Junior Forum Member
Hello everyone. I'm another Newbie checking in and looking for sage advice. I bought a US '84 "S" a few months ago. I also got a WSM and "Models, Dimensions, & Tolerances" manual. The car is getting a bare metal restoration over the next year or so. The nasty, smelly 30 year old foam and rubber from the interior has been removed ( 2 months of cutting, scraping, and applying LOTS of Goo Gone). The entire interior is out, including the HVAC face. All of the smelly stock carpet pad is off of the firewall too. I primed and painted everything from the battery box (after some rust removal), gas tank cover, rear seat pans, rear interior quarters, doors, front floor pan, interior roof, firewall-- everything. The rear windshield has also been removed (in one piece,woohoo) to make sure there was no rust in the channel the glass sits in. The point of doing all of that was to make sure there was no rust/corrosion in the interior of the car. I couldn't get under it for a while, so I started inside. Of course, I found quite a few PO "mods" to fix. Apparently, the P.O.'s mechanic, who was his brother-in-law (and NOT a Porsche mechanic), liked to eat sunflower seeds because I cleaned out about TEN cups of shells from everywhere inside the car (AT shift mechanism, behind fuse/relay panel, HVAC, etc., etc., etc.

I now have an unmounted fuse/relay board on the floor pan and lots of labelled wiring everywhere. The next thing I have planned is to go over all of the ground points and all of the fuse/relay connections to remove any rust/corrosion. Then, wiring continuity chasing from there.

Which brings me to my question. the US 4.7 has fairly poor comp/leak down numbers, so I decided to get a US '85-' 86 bottom end and Euro S heads and cam towers (heads & cam towers not cheap from Germany) for building up a "euro S Hybrid" motor, and I'm wondering how far to go with the wiring since much of it will be disconnected later anyway. Any thoughts would be welcome.

I would also appreciate any links, tips, and advice for building the motor. There are lots of posts on here, Rennlist, and Pelican that I have found, but they seem to generally discuss the merits and shortcomings of the hybrid motor. Not so much the unique issues encountered in building one.

Again, hello to everyone, and any suggestions and info on what I'm doing would be greatly appreciated.

P.S., BTW, Kermit comes from my daughters thinking that the car looks like a frog when the headlights are up.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Newbie Member 27 Dec 2016 00:43 #19447

• Kiln_Red
Welcome aboard and good luck with the 5.0L hybrid build! A recent discussion on another forum about the 100mm pistons reminded me of the necessity to cut new valve reliefs to accommodate the 16V euro heads. Do you have a set of 'hybrid' pistons yet?

Newbie Member 27 Dec 2016 15:49 #19451

• Kermit928S
  • Junior Forum Member
Hi, and thanks Kiln_Red for your response. The block came with its original pistons, rings, rods, crank, etc. I'm going to have to remove the piston heads and have them "fly cut." I don't know where yet (maybe someone can suggest a good shop?). I also understand that the fly cuts have to have the sharp edges smoothed to reduce the possibility/probability of detonation. So, yes, I sort of have my pistons, but they aren't ready yet. Thanks again.

Oh, I also forgot to mention in my first post that I do have a Euro S spider/throttle body assembly for better air. No "Euro S" benefit without that. Still need a suitable brain for it though.

Newbie Member 30 Dec 2016 04:13 #19454

• davehall
  • New Forum Member
I am newbie here and happy to be the part of this forum. I am Dave Hall an experienced freelance writer, college ranking expert and blogger. While being a lecturer in several high school institutions. My areas of interests are very wide, but mostly I writes for educational websites and blogs. Currently linked with custom essay writing service, an online writing firm.

Newbie Member 04 Jan 2017 09:19 #19463

• Mal81
  • New Forum Member
Hi
I came to the OC for the same reason that many of you probably did: to find out more info about my car with the registry.

I'm not all that interesting, so I'll talk mostly about my car. It's an '81 Euro, with a 4.5l, and 5 Sp manual. It was originally sprayed with Pacific Blue metallic, but has been repainted (poorly) in Minerva Blue. The interior is blue on white, with few options, save the driver's comfort seat and letter box sunroof. It does have climate control aircon, which leads me to believe that it was always a California car. It was imported by Michael Crosby, who might be the same person who is an infamous huckster and a permanent resident of the Federal Justice system, having escaped more than once.

I don't know much about the cars' history or owners other than that. I bought it from Owen Cudney, whom some of you S California folks might know. Through what records I have been able to dig up, it has sat for many years (I'm guessing because it couldn't pass California smog) and the odometer was broken for several of those years. It seems to have about 80-90k actual miles on it, as best as I can tell. It had a tough life toward the end, living in the Fresno area. It was owned by someone whom I'm guessing was young and in the construction trades, judging by the materials used in PO repairs and 'upgrades,' and damages to the bodywork. It looks like one of the rear quarters was damaged heavily by a rear tyre blowout, and the other rear quarter has some impact damage, though not major. It was covered with bumper stickers when I first trailered it home.

That was a few years back. I've since got it so that it (barely) passes smog, and have been slowly returning it to it's former self. I've replaced most of the interior materials with new (I just finished re-trimming the dash and pod) and have tackled the worst of the mechanical problems like fuel lines, the HVAC, and rebuilding the steering rack. I still need to replace the pan gasket, motor mounts, timing belt and water pump, all the bushes and joints - including the cup bushings, and a new set of fuel injectors. It's a 'weekend driver' until I can get those complete. So far, I've been doing all of this work myself alone, so the progress is often slow.

I hope to have the bodywork smoothed and repainted this Spring locally by a guy that does restorations for a local auto museum. I'm sure it won't be cheap, but I think with all the other work done, it will be a car that I'll want to hang on to, and thus worth the expense.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 04 Jan 2017 09:48 by Mal81.

Newbie Member 29 Oct 2017 16:41 #20059

• Benjamin
I also have a 1984 S I just Purchased .
Care to swap some information ?

Benjamin
214 490 7262
Cell
California .
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds