Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: New member from Mexico

New member from Mexico 18 May 2017 14:00 #19725

• federico
  • New Forum Member
I just purchased a 1985 928 and will be receiving it in about two more weeks, I am very exited because although the car looks very good in the body and almost excellent interior the car is not running, it last run in 2007 and was parked after that. The seller tells me the engine turns without strange noises but will not start. he changed fuel pump, fuel filter and left ignition coil. I am by no means a mechanic and hope that i will not get a big problem when I receive it.
I have also a 912E which I really enjoy and have received lots of help from the 912 Forum. Any comments are appreciated.

Federico
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New member from Mexico 17 Jun 2017 10:13 #19800

• Rich928
  • Administrator
Hola Federico,

Good luck to bring your Porsche 928 back to life. The odds of finding a mechanic who knows the Porsche 928 well are low, so I recommend finding a mechanic who is familiar with Volvos. They are more common and some models use similar Bosch fuel and spark system as the Porsche 928.

The 928 OC members have a lot of experience repairing and keeping our cars running so feel free to post questions.
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast

New member from Mexico 17 Jun 2017 11:33 #19803

• federico
  • New Forum Member
Rich, thank you for your comments, the problem I think I am facing now is the alarm is activated, so I have no power either in the fuel pump or the ignition. The engine turns well but no spark or fuel.
I will have an alarm technician look at it, he said that from the picture of the alarm module that is behind the glove box, it is very similar to the VW Jetta and he will be coming to check it and see if we can bypass the alarm.
On the other hand, a mechanic who has experience in Audi cars said the engine is similar to Audi's, what do you think.
I will be out of town all next week so it will be the week after that I will be working in the car. I will also try to find a mechanic with experience in Volvo.
Thank you a lot for your help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rich928

New member from Mexico 17 Jun 2017 12:01 #19804

• Rich928
  • Administrator
Many of the German automobile companies used the same suppliers and had similar design concepts. So there may be commonality between many brands.

If you or your mechanics don't have the Porsche factory workshop manuals, they are a big help. The wiring diagram will assist in figuring out the factory alarm system. The download link is www.ligeti.com/928/

In general, the engine should start if the following relays are removed and jumpers are inserted between the 30 and 87 relay socket positions: LH, EZF and Fuel pump.

If you need specific help drop a line to me at info "at" electronikrepair.com and I can provide further assistance.
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue

New member from Mexico 18 Jun 2017 10:54 #19808

• y33trekker
  • Junior Forum Member
Welcome federico. If you post your general location, maybe there will be a 928.org forum member in the area who can either help personally or at least recommend additional local diagnostic possibilities.

And as far as your location goes, I'm personally curious because I worked years ago for a couple of months down in the Hobbs, New Mexico area. Got the opportunity to visit Carlsbad Caverns while I was in the area and it was well worth the trip.

New member from Mexico 20 Jun 2017 13:39 #19818

• federico
  • New Forum Member
Hello trekker, I am actually located south of the border in Monterrey, Mexico and altough a City with approx. 5 million people I know of only one more 928 Porsche here, lots of 911's, I also have a 1976 912E which I love. I am very eager to start working in my 928, but I will be away from home until next monday to continue trying to get the car running with the help of some mechanics here (Porsce, Audi, etc.) and with the great advice I have been getting from the members of this great group. I am sure that with the help of you guys and all the experience accumulated in the forum, it won't be long.
Federico

New member from Mexico 20 Jun 2017 14:16 #19819

• Rich928
  • Administrator
Federico,

You also should tell us if your 1985 Porsche 928 is a North American 32-valve motor (with catalytic convertor) or is a Euro/ROW model that is 16-valve - I would guess that either model may be sold in Mexico. There are considerable differences, the easiest way to tell is to look at the intake manifold; the 32-valve motor is covered with pipes that run parallel to the ground (you can barely see the engine), the 16-valve motor has an intake system that looks like a spider standing up on the 8 legs (intake runners).

The 32-valve motor has Lambda air/fuel regulation and an O2 sensor to go along with the Cats - the Lambda system automatically regulates the air/fuel ratio. It also has automatic idle speed regulation. The Euro model air/fuel ratio is static set at 0.5 - 1.5% and HC PPM less that 300 set at the MAF and the idle speed is static 700 - 750 RPM set at the throttle body.

For 32-valve motor owners, please be aware that it is necessary to set the base CO% (air-fuel ratio) at 0.4 - 0.8% with HC less than 300 PPM and idle speed at 660 - 700 RPM for your motor to run correctly. Instructions are in the factory workshop manual.

If your 928 doesn't have a service history, or if the cam belt hasn't been changed in the past 20,000 miles I suggest that the cam belt and water pump be changed and the tensioner roller bearings be inspected. It is an interference motor so if the cam belt slips or fails the valves will hit the pistons and a very expensive repair job involving removing the heads and replacing valves will be required.
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue

New member from Mexico 20 Jun 2017 20:19 #19822

• federico
  • New Forum Member
Hello Rich, I should have given you more information on my car, now I see it is very important.
The car is a US model, WP0JB0922FS860899, it was sold in Wisconsin and was there until I bught it few weeks ago. License plates are from Wis. 2009, PO had it for about two years and could never start it. He mentioned the car did not start since '09.
The only key that came with the car was broken at the handle and made us think it was a key with a chip like other cars, later I found out it has no chip and the circuit in the handle is for a light.
I am looking for an '85 shop manual and I suppose in it they specify the differences in US and Euro models, is the one in CD recommended?.
I have no records of any maintenance so I guess I will have to change the timing belts and water pump.
For now I will focus on getting spark and fuel in the engine and get it running.
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 1.630 seconds