Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: New to the Houston 928 community - Car stopped running

New to the Houston 928 community - Car stopped running 03 Jul 2017 19:21 #19853

• DennisFitz
  • New Forum Member
Hello! I’m new to the 928 community here in Houston. I have a 1981 928 – it is in great shape and a blast to drive. It has a basic engine, no charger or turbo and it has been running great for the past year. The other day while driving it just cut-out and the engine stopped. There was nothing wrong with the starter, battery, engine would “crank” fine, but I got no smell of gas, as if nothing was getting to the engine. I had a new fuel filter and fuel pump in my spare bag, so I changed them out one at a time.
After changing the filter didn’t help, I changed the fuel pump, the engine started on the first try. I thought my problem was solved. After about 2 hours though, it stopped again and would not start.
Now I am looking for either new ideas, or a great, inexpensive place to take it and trouble shoot.
Anybody know of a good place in the Houston area? Or any troubleshooting steps that could help me narrow down what could be wrong?
I would appreciate any help you’all can provide.

P928.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New to the Houston 928 community - Car stopped running 05 Jul 2017 11:14 #19855

• Rich928
  • Administrator
Hello Dennis,

You have a very nice looking Porsche 928. I suggest the following:
a) Clean the positive and negative connections at the battery. Check the multiple connections that bolt to the positive cable. Inspect the negative cable, sometimes there is corrosion that has damaged the copper under the plastic covered section. Replace if necessary.

b) If you have never changed out the relays or cleaned out the fuses in your Porsche 928, I suggest.

Look to your owners manual for the position of these items in your fuse panel (aka Central Electric)

1. Fuel pump fuse #22 (25 Amp): clean the fuse ends and retainers (good idea to do this for all fuses, do ONE AT A TIME).

2. Replace these relays

Relay # XVI : Fuel Injection Part Number 928.615.119.00
Relay # XVII: Fuel Pump Part Number 928.615.113.01 (note, this is a special relay that has an RPM sensing circuit inside)

If the problem goes away, you're good to go. If not, you need to go into full diagnosis mode and determine if there is spark when the engine will not start. If no spark, that has to be fixed because the spark system triggers the fuel injection.

If you'd like to contact me for more suggestions, drop a note to info at electronikrepair.com
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast

New to the Houston 928 community - Car stopped running 09 Jul 2017 18:22 #19870

• DennisFitz
  • New Forum Member
Thank you~! and thanks for the information. i will let you know how it works.
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 1.813 seconds