Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the 928 Owners Club Forum!

Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC: Hello!

Hello! 19 Jun 2018 09:39 #20414

• Mike Gamble
  • New Forum Member
I just thought I’d say hello and introduce myself.
I live in Cornwall, south west England and I’ve just purchased a 1986 S2 which has been in storage since 2006.
This is my second dabble into 928 ownership having owned an ‘88 S4 a few years back which unfortunately became a bitter experience and I walked away from 928 ownership.
However. I have desperately missed owning one of these cars and, due to the steady increase in prices, it came to the point where if I wanted one, I had to act now before the prices soared out of my reach.

I’m a complete car nut.

I own a ‘79, ‘81 and 86 Porsche 924, a 1955 Land Rover, a 1978 Mercedes 450 SLC, a 1991 Toyota Celica, a 1996 Mazda MX6 coupe and an ‘81 VW Vanagon.

I hope that qualifies as a car nut?!
Admittedly, some of the cars are in pieces but, they will one day return to our roads!

Mechanically, I’m quite handy, I did the full engine service on the S4 and she started first flick of the switch.

To be fair, that’s what led me here. I used to be a member of a US based 928 forum but, it seems to have disappeared since my last visit!

I’m mainly after somewhere to have a thread on the car and, collectively pick your brains on what’s needed and information to complete all the various tasks.

The car itself has been stored quite well and started every now and again but, obviously needs a major recommissioning before being used properly.

My intention is to do a full engine service, all belts, tensioners, water pump etc.
Then, all the other fluids in the vehicle so I know everything is spot on before she gets used.

However, as I’m aware that all cars seem to have their own little foibles and quirks, is there anything else I should look at prior to use?

At this time, the dash lights up like a Christmas tree so I’m guessing I’ll be looking at several electrical issues (which I hate!!) so im guessing it will be a while before she hits the streets again!

Anyway, apologies for my ramblings, and Hi!!
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2018 09:42 by Mike Gamble.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hello! 23 Jun 2018 12:15 #20418

• Rich928
Welcome Mike,

Wow, great introduction to your automobile collection. This is a worldwide club and we love to hear from every corner of the world. There is a tremendous knowledge base here, so feel free to ask questions.

The first thing I suggest is to download the 928 Factory Workshop Manuals. They are the best source of information, located here: www.ligeti.com/928/
Another great source of information is "Dwayne's Garage" ... wow Dwayne has done a great job of outlining many jobs with great detail. Look here: 928intl.com/tips/
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast

Hello! 28 Jun 2018 13:24 #20419

• y33trekker
  • Junior Forum Member
Greetings Mike, and welcome. I'd second Googling and bookmarking Dwaynes Garage. MANY very useful how-to's there.

And it seems we have two similar vehicles, because to match your '96 MX-6, I also still have a '94 Ford Probe GT which I bought new in late '94. If you have any questions about that one, I may be able to help there too.

Hello! 05 Jul 2018 17:04 #20433

• Mike Gamble
  • New Forum Member
I’ll look into downloading the Dwaynes garage. Interesting about the Probe link!
I do need to know how to take the sunroof out of the Mazda so I can clear the drainage holes but, there’s nothing in the manual that I can find?
Re the 928, I’m just about to start stockpiling parts ready for a major service/refresh in the autumn. I’m not really going to get around to much before then due to other ongoing projects!

Hello! 05 Jul 2018 21:38 #20434

• y33trekker
  • Junior Forum Member
I'm not at home at the moment to look, but I have the factory service manual for my '94, and when I get back I'll ckeck it to see what info it has about the sunroofs.

Hello! 05 Aug 2018 09:47 #20561

• y33trekker
  • Junior Forum Member
Just following up that I did look in my Factory Ford Service Manual and it DOES have a chapter especially for the sunroof.

Actually taking out the sunroof also requires removing interior trim for being able to remove headliner, etc, so depending on how involved you want to get, the information is available.
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.865 seconds